Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Tell All Tuesday : What I shoot with!

I love answering your questions in Tell All Tuesday's! This week, by request, I will be going over what I shoot with and what other gear I love. . . and why!

Starting off with what I shoot with, I like to keep it very very basic. I am a total Canon girl! I rock a Canon 7D body, her name is "Candy" and we have a great relationship!


Why do I love this camera? Well to be blunt, it fit my needs at the time of purchase when I wasn't sure where this photography gig was going for me. From there it has not let me down with my business needs and uses. It is however a crop frame and I do dream of upgrading to a full frame body in the next year (HINT HINT!!! My birthday is in December, folks! JK! But seriously...). If you are looking for a body that is affordable, great quality, and easy to use, I definitely recommend this beauty. 

My main go-to-lens is the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 . In canon world, this is the middle of the 3 options for a 50mm lens. I started out with the 50mm f/1.8 but I have found that the 1.4 is a much better lens for just a little bit more money. 


Why do I love this? Well, in comparison to the "Thrifty Fifty" (50mm f/1.8) it is much faster and quieter, which is a HUGE plus. I also find the images to be a little sharper, clearer, and with better bokeh (that blurry background look) than with the Thrifty Fifty. This is seriously my go-to portrait lens and it very rarely comes off my body. It's just pretty and I love it! 

I do also have the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 lens which I use primarily for my military homecoming lens. It was the "kit" lens that came with my body. It serves it's purpose for that use, but will be upgraded in the near future as well. 

One of my other go to items is my ShootSac bag! I know I have stated that I don't changes lenses for the most part during a session, but I like to have my 28-135 and external flash (Canon 430ex II) just in case. 


Why do I love this? Oh my, I can't even begin to tell you the reasons! It's messenger bag style allows it to fit snugly against my body while shooting. This allows for easy and quick access to my other items if I need to get to them since the flap just flips up. I like to keep things super simple during the shoot and with 6 individual "pockets" it allows me to keep my extra lens, flash, wallet, keys, cell phone, bobby pin & hair tie case, and a couple miscellaneous items all in one snug place. This means I can ditch my purse when going to a shoot. I love simple and this rocks it out for simple!

As you can see Im a minimalist for equipment and things I take, I like to keep it simple and make sure the focus is on you and your family during your shoot!

If you have a question you'd love to be answered during the next Tell All Tuesday, be sure to email it to Jwaltersphotography@gmail.com I look forward to hearing from ya'll!





2 comments:

Ashley said...

We're like, Photographer twins! Great post :)

Jessica Walters said...

woohoo! twins! <3

Post a Comment

 
© Jessica Walters Photography

CoffeeShop Designs